Monday, September 24, 2012

balance?

The most productive, satisfied employees are those who report they have “an opportunity to do what I do best” everyday.  ~Gallup Research findings~
 
Reading an email from a colleague has sparked up my mind. I am the type of person who gets bored easily if the information coming in is not interesting. In other words I lose interest pretty quick and move on. My current job is not stimulating enough for me and even before I accepted the position I knew this! The downside or upside, depending on how you want to see it, is I am an optimist. I believe that tomorrow will be better. In addition I also have moments of negativity of the future thought those moments are brief they do happen. There was a time in my life when I was naive to the bigger picture of the world and that kept me one-sided. Anyway I learned all the duties required for my job which was simple, mind numbing, robotic tasks. In all honesty this was very similar to last years position. The difference being that last year I worked with adolescents and that provided me the glue to keep me going. This year I do not have any students to work with and most of the time I am solo. After the testings and all the tediousness of the job is done I am left to the Internet or other clerical tasks to keep me busy. At first I had such a problem with not using my strengths at all and just kicking back with easy stuff. I really want to make a difference for students and help them in some way or another. My inner battles are still there but what can I do. Speak up and ask for a different job. I know then things get really bad I tend to find ways to escape in some small way. I feel that feeling resurfacing. I have eight months left and then what. The job I wanted was given to someone else and I hope next year it reopens. To simply say I am not so productive. I do what I know but not what I do best. I guess that is life because seems to me everyone sort of settles and get comfortable in what they do. Where is the change and action? The meaningfulness of every day life. To go out and take charge of the day. It could be that I am not feeling super excited today but this is how I feel. This is all a part of growing up and speaking up. Perhaps I need to speak up a little more.

My point in writing is to point out that we need to keep on doing what we like. Yet this is hard because we all need money to get by. There has to be a balance to keep us sane. I need to find that balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment